Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Top 10 Advantages of Technicolor

Hello my pals and gals! Since time has been short for me lately, I decided to do a lighthearted post on why we, black-and-white film lovers, should also open up our hearts to Technicolor! Hope you enjoy it, and I'll be giving you some more "profound" posts soon! Pinky promise!

1. When you want to introduce the classics to a friend who's never seen an old movie before, starting with a color picture softens the shock. I introduced the classics to my parents through "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", and I found that, since it was in color, they didn't think about the film's age and focused on the story. Bingo!




2. An abundance of redheads. 



3. Splashy musicals



4. Because of Lucille Ball. Just look at her!




5. For history lovers like me: To see the past happening in color in front of you adds a breathtaking touch of reality. 
1937. Before your own very eyes. Yup.

6. Gone With The Wind.


7. Because how else would we know if the movie posters are accurate?



8. The amazing vintage fashion



9. Let's face it: It points to the evolution of filmmaking technology!



10. These eyes



And one reason to hate it:
Greta Garbo was never in it!



So long,
Marcela




5 comments:

  1. Great little post, Im going back to uni soon so I know what it is to be short of time. Talking about Technicolour, I didn't realise they started experimenting with it soo early until I began researching more. I recently watched 'Becky Sharp' from 1935 and 'Mystery of the Wax Museum' (1933) which are both in colour. Admittedly it isnt soo vibrant as the Technicolour fifities films, but it is interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to watch a Garbo movie in color! Film lovers must watch any kind of film, silents and talkies, in color or black and white, but I agree that it's easier to introduce people to classics through Technicolor movies.
    I love the color movies of the 1930s, specially A Star is Born, form 1937.
    In reason 10, I'd add also Liz Taylor's eyes. And is it a photo form onjour, Tristesse in number 9?
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice post Marcela! Oh I'm always forgetting how black and white can put off most people, I'm so used to Old Hollywood that is doesn't feel like it's dated at all. I think the best thing about technicolor is, without a doubt, the redheads, and Lucille was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Emma: I feel for you, sister! Uni students of the world with no time on their hands, unite! Hha! Yes, color is definitely older than we think! I hear Walt Disney experimented with color before sound!

    @Le: Yup, Bonjour Tristesse! Elizabeth's beauty is unprecedented, there hasnt been one like her before or since. I mentioned Kate out of affection I guess, but even the girl's (always calling a 106-year-old woman a girl lol) eye color is unusual! Seems like a mixture of green and blue in equal proportions - blows my mind. I've never seen the 1937 version of A Star is Born, only the fabulous version with Judy Garland and the equally fabulous one with Barbra Streisand, which is my moms favorite movie - she saw it on the movie theatre eight times! Haha!

    @Sofia: I personally prefer black and white - maybe its from my love of noirs. But I find most people who aren't used to them keep thinking "gee, this is old" instead of focusing on the story or the acting. You're totally right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful tribute post to technicolor! Thanks for sharing!

    ---
    Make sure to submit your list to our Lion 4 LAMBs event that is currently running! http://www.largeassmovieblogs.com/2013/01/the-6th-annual-lions-for-lambs.html

    ReplyDelete